Crockpot Artichokes

crockpot artichokes

When I first started The Produce Mom blog, I made a quick promise that I would teach everyone how to prepare a fresh artichoke.  If you are anything like most people, you have only enjoyed canned artichokes or artichoke dip.  And you are missing out!  Here is a fool-proof way to steam one of nature’s healthiest vegetables!crock pot artichokes

Ingredients:

• Ocean Mist Artichokes – depending on size, you can cook several at the same time with this crock pot method.  I used jumbos & could fit 3 in my crock pot.
  • White WineI had my best friend over last night & we polished off the Spanish Verdejo I intended to use… so I used a dry sherry, which I always have on hand & I encourage you to stock sherry in your kitchen as well.
  • Fresh Lemon Juice
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt
  • Garlic- I used Spice World Roasted Garlic

Check out the Nutritional Facts for artichokes – we should all eat more of this nutrition all-star!

How to Cook Crockpot Artichokes

CROCK POT ARTICHOKES – Recipe compliments of Ocean Mist Farms

STEP 1:

Rinse Artichokes with water.

STEP 2:

STEP 3:

Trim top inch off artichoke; heart will be exposed.

STEP 4:

Rub halved lemon over exposed artichoke heart to prevent browning.

STEP 5:

Open up petals to spread apart the artichoke & better expose the heart.

STEP 6:

place artichokes into crock pot & squeeze lemon juice evenly over the top.

STEP 7:

Drizzle olive oil over artichokes.

STEP 8:

Salt artichokes & top with garlic.

STEP 9:

Pour approximately 1 cup of white wine into bottom of crock pot – add water until there is a 2-inch depth of liquid in the base of the slow cooker.  The bottom 1/4 of the artichoke can be covered in the liquid.

STEP 10:

Artichokes are finished when a knife can easily slide into the bottom-side stem.  Similar concept to inserting a knife into a fully-cooked baked potato.

Crock pot artichokes are delicious enjoyed “as is” / without adding anything.  However, you can spruce up your artichokes with inspiration from the Ocean Mist recipe database.  Cooked artichokes store well in ziploc bags in your refrigerator, as well.  Yes, you can easily enjoy fresh artichoke hearts all week long by cooking a large batch in the crock pot!

Chip wants Chicken Parmesan tonight, so I will be adding fresh artichoke hearts to our pasta dinner.  Yum.  I would love to know how you plan to enjoy your Crock Pot Artichokes!

xoxo Produce Mom

Sign up here for our NEW weekly newsletter if you want more fun recipes, cooking tips, and more!

OR  Text “TPM” to 66866 to sign up!

crockpot artichokes
You:
Rate this recipe!
Ingredients
Servings:
Units:
Instructions
  1. Rinse Artichokes with water.
  2. Trim artichoke stem (it is an edible part of the vegetable, but for this method it must be trimmed short).
  3. Trim top inch off artichoke; heart will be exposed.
  4. Rub halved lemon over exposed artichoke heart to prevent browning.
  5. Open up petals to spread apart the artichoke & better expose the heart.
  6. place artichokes into crock pot & squeeze lemon juice evenly over the top.
  7. Drizzle olive oil over artichokes.
  8. Salt artichokes & top with garlic.
  9. Pour approximately 1 cup of white wine into bottom of crock pot - add water until there is a 2-inch depth of liquid in the base of the slow cooker. The bottom 1/4 of the artichoke can be covered in the liquid.
  10. Cover with lid & cook on high for 4 hours (smaller artichokes will cook in 3 hours—remember, I used jumbos!)
Recipe Notes

Depending on size, you can cook several artichokes at the same time with this crock pot method. I used jumbos & could fit 3 in my Crock-Pot.

Powered byWP Ultimate Recipe

You may also enjoy:

No Comments

kelly

love this recipe!!! do most grocery stores have fresh artichokes? i have never looked b/c I never knew what to do with them :) thank you, Produce MOM! and, I know why you like this recipe (.. other than how good they are for you).. WINE!! DUH!! 😉

Elaine

Very cool! I will have to try this. Do you have to take the fuzzy choke thingy out, or with cooking does it cook down out of the way? Thanks for a great new recipe.

t

You have to remove the choke. Cut it in half and then quarters it the fuzzy part above the meat.

Brenda

So . . . if I cook them that way, then how do we eat them? Is the entire vegetable edible? When I was a kid I remember our Italian neighbors taught us to scrape the soft, cooked part off each leaf, but the leaves themselves were not edible, or so I thought. The recipe sounds delicious.

Produce Mom

You’re correct Brenda! The heart in the center is the edible part of the artichoke. It will easily scoop out of the crock pot artichokes. For more ideas on how to prepare & use fresh artichokes, please visit http://www.oceanmist.com/ – Ocean Mist is our artichoke vendor at Indy Fruit & they have an awesome website with TONS of recipes. I actually got this crock pot recipe from their website. THANK YOU for following along & let me know how you like the chokes! xoxo

2sisters2cities

Wow- I never thought to cook artichokes in a crock pot…such a great idea! Definitely my most under-utilized tool in the kitchen.

I am hosting an artichoke-themed linky party this week as part of our Fresh Produce Tuesday series at 2 Sisters 2 Cities. I would love it if you linked this recipe up to share this idea with our readers!

-m

Doughmestic diva

I add bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese to them sprinkled on top and as they cook the mixture will coat the leaves and add extra yum to every bite..u must spread the leaves open allowing space for bread crumb mixture!!! For dipping…mayo with fresh minced garlic

Merced Cook

We love artichokes, eat them every other week. In the summer, one large is a meal, with a fruit chaser. So refreshing and healthy. i cannot wait to try to crock pot them. I crockpot anything i can to avoid heating my kitchen in the summer. It’s over 100 outside, so that’s where I put my crockpot….on the patio serving ledge! Drives the neighborhood wild wondering what I’m cooking each day. Thanks for the great recipe

Teresha Aird

I think I’m gonna be in heaven, especially since no one else likes artichokes at my house so I can eat them ALL!

Brandy Jones

I boil mine with red pepper flakes, crushed garlic, and Italian seasoning for around an hour for jumbos, then dip the leaves in butter with some mayo and garlic seasoning. But may have to try them in the crock sometime.

Jacque

I dip the leaves and a vinegarett. I make it with oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder(or fresh minced) and a little bit of sugar. Make it when you start cooking your chokes. The flavors will really pop when its time to start dipping!
I have also made it with Italian breadcrumbs, fresh minced garlic, Parmesan cheese and enough plain yogurt to make it moist, but still crumbly, mixture. Open the leaves up and stuff it with the breading. Cook as normal. Very yummy!

Paleo Cookin’ | Nix New Life

[…] breadcrumbs.  They were cooked PERFECTLY and were melt-in-your-mouth amazing.  A big thanks to Lori from The Produce Mom for this recipe.  Check out her site for play-by-play photos.  Amaze-balls. (note: I hate when […]

Olivia

What can I use instead of white wine? Still a baby-kid, only 19 so I can’t get my hands on white wine ): or any wine for that matter.

Produce Mom

Hey Olivia! You can totally use stock – I would recommend chicken or vegetable stock. OH, to be 19 again…. enjoy your youth, girl!

Erin

They sell white cooking wine at the stores…it doesn’t have alcohol in it.