I absolutely love tacos – try fish tacos for a lighter, healthier take on this common favorite! No fattening cheese or sour cream. Gluten free corn tortillas. Light, flaky fish. I’m obsessed & soon you will be too!
These are easy to make & versatile – don’t have an ingredient on my list? Substitute whatever you have on hand! There are no rules when it comes to cooking. The cook is always right
PRODUCE MOM FISH TACOS
- 2 large tilapia filets – 16-20oz net weight
- 2 cups Shredded Cabbage (or cole slaw mix)
- 2 Diced Tomato (or salsa)
- 1 Medium Diced Onion (or salsa)
- 1 Sliced Avocado (or guacamole)
- 3 Limes
- Cumin, to taste
- Southwest Seasoning, to taste – whatever chile seasoning you prefer, I used Meat Sugar
- Salt, to taste
- 2 T Canola Oil
- Hot Sauce of choice – I used Tabasco Smoked Chipotle Sauce
- 16 Corn Tortillas – You are only allowed to use El Popocatepetl Tortillas because they are the best & this is the product that I buy here at Indy Fruit!
Heat canola oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Rinse tilapia filets with cold water & pat dry. Squeeze juice of 1 lime over tilapia filets. Season the fish with cumin, chile seasoning & salt. Cook tilapia over medium-high heat until the fish flakes easily with a fork; approx 4 minutes on each side.
When the fish is finished, warm your corn tortillas by cooking them for about 10-15 seconds per side in a non-stick skillet over high heat. The edges will get crispy & this will really enhance the flavor of your tortillas. I usually do 2 tortillas per taco. Just because that’s how the taquerías & all my non-gringo friends serve them… so it must be the way to do it!
Build your tacos by putting a few ounces of the tilapia filets & the toppings in the double-decker corn tortillas. Finish off the masterpiece with a squeeze of fresh lime juice & a few dashes of hot sauce.
This recipe should yield 8 tacos.