Kiwi Muffins

Kiwi Muffins

Kiwi is the most nutrient-dense fruit you can eat!  A leader in Vitamin C, Potassium, Folate & more.  It’s a true super food & the favorite of Graham Rahal for my school foodservice campaign, Find Your Favorite.

These muffins are delicious & have minimal added sugar & oil.  Plus with the sweetness & superfood power of kiwi, you can enjoy this muffin without the guilt!  Thank you to my friend, Chef Concetta, for her help with the recipe!

Kiwi Muffins
Cook Time
25 minutes
Ingredients
Servings: muffins
Units:
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper cupcake liners.
  2. Sift flour, salt, sugar, cinnamon & baking power in a bowl and mix well.
  3. Beat together egg, milk, oil & vanilla in a large bowl. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients. Fold in the chopped kiwi.
  4. Spoon mixture into a cupcake liner & fill them to the top. Sprinkle with the raw/turbinado sugar.
  5. Bake for approx 25 minutes. Muffins are done when slightly brown & a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Powered byWP Ultimate Recipe

Enjoy!

xoxo The Produce Mom

Sign up here for our NEW weekly newsletter if you want more fun recipes, cooking tips, and more!

OR  Text “TPM” to 66866 to sign up!

You may also enjoy:

Getting the Most out of Your Home Garden Say hello to the newest member of The Produce Mom team! Meet Lindsey Wall, Master Gardener with Purdue Extension. As a Master Gardener, Lindsey is...
Broccoli Recipes Broccoli sometimes gets a bad rap as a boring green vegetable. But I’m here to tell you that this veggie is not as lackluster as you might think! Broc...
Canning and Pickling Recipes Are you disappointed when your favorite summer produce goes out of season? Don’t be! You can enjoy your favorite produce all year long by canning them...

14 Comments

Dawn

Made the kiwifruit muffins today as.they were sitting in the bowl and I had waste there were a couple of fejoa and wow the flavour was a really nice marriage …

Dawn

Made the kiwifruit muffins today as.they were sitting in the bowl and I hate waste there were a couple of fejoa and wow the flavour was a really nice marriage .

Produce Mom

I fill my muffin tins up to the very top – this recipe will make approx 18 muffins. You should have 3-4 large chunks of kiwi in each muffin.

Merkitten

Hmmm, little heavy on the kiwi I found, they didn’t rise much if at all. tasty though.

Produce Mom

Hello! I’m glad you enjoyed the flavor. I’m sorry your muffins didn’t rise. I added some more detail to the recipe. It’s all about the size you chop the kiwi. It has to be large enough so the kiwi does not liquify. That’s one reason kiwi is so rarely used in baking – but if you chop it to a larger size as explained in my updated post, it maintains it shape and your muffins will rise. xoxo PM

kath

A friend made them. Twice actually, cause the first time they rose, then came out of oven and fell. So, she made them at home thinking she must have only put in 1tsp. baking powder, but no-they fell again. She was thinking that was a lot of kiwi.

Produce Mom

Hi – thank u so much for making my Kiwi Muffins! I updated the recipe to be more specific. You really need to chop them to a large size, approx 1- 1.5″ size. If they are smaller or if you over mix the batter, the kiwi will liquify & the muffins will not rise.

Thank you so much for the feedback. I really appreciate it! Please have your friend email me at theproducemom@indyfruit.com so I can explain this to her & make this right! xoxo

Shirley Akinosho

After reading the comments above, I had my doubts about this recipe. Since I had just bought some kiwis, I decided to make some muffins. What a surprise! The muffins came out great. I only used one kiwi, cut it in somewhat large chunks, and improvised the recipe . Some sweetened coconut shreds were added to the mix, and sprinkled on top before baking. I really enjoyed them wih a spread of peanut butter, and a splash of maple syrup.

Produce Mom

Hi Shirley,

Thank you so much for trying the kiwi muffins & sharing your experience. Glad you modified the recipe and made it your own. We appreciate your support of The Produce Mom!

Have a great day, Lori

Kelly

I wish I’d read the comments before baking these. My muffins rose ok (Being in UK I used self raising flour rather than plain plus baking powder) but with 3-4 chunks in each muffin there is so much moisture coming from the kiwi during the bake. I found the cooking time was way off and some hadn’t cooked through even after 50 minutes. I would massively cut down on the amount of fruit if I were to make these again.

Produce Mom

Hi Kelly, We agree with you! This recipe was developed with small fruit & we have modified to reflect using 4 medium kiwis or 1 cup of diced kiwi chunks. Thank you for trying the recipe & sharing your feedback!

Riitta

I had a few overripe kiwis so I decided to bake with them. My children do not like chunks of fruit, berries in cakes etc. I puréed the kiwis and added them at the same time with milk. I counted the kiwi purée into the 2 cups of milk – there was almost 1,5 cups of the purée so I only needed 1/2 cup milk. Also we were out of cinnamon and I used ginger instead. These were good muffins, delicately fruity. Your recipe was a great starting point for exploration so thanks!